Sunday, February 10, 2008

Bobby Fischer with Dick Cavett - Video

A 1971 interview with Dick Cavett provides a revealing glimpse into Fischer's state of mind the year before his historic match win over World Champion Boris Spassky.



Was It Only a Game?
by Dick Cavett

Among this year’s worst news, for me, was the death of Bobby Fischer.

Telling a friend this, I got, “Are you out of your bloody mind? He was a Nazi-praising raving lunatic and anti-Semite. Death is too good for him.”

He did, indeed, become all that. But none of it describes the man I knew.

Towering genius, riches, international fame and a far from normal childhood might be too heady a mix for anyone to handle. For him they proved fatal.

I’m still sad about his death. In our three encounters on my late-night show,
I became quite fond of him.


http://cavett.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02/08/was-it-only-a-game/



Chess Software, Books, Games, VHS & DVD's

No comments: